Goal_setting is one of those things that people, it seems, are near unanimous on its importance to life, career, success, achievement. And there are a great many speakers who advocate goal_setting. The latest \'fad\' in this is The Secret _ Rhonda Byrne\'s now famous TV/Film Documentary which, in a nutshell, purports that people who envision what they want will attract its actualization into their life. Now, I\'m not going to detract from this appealing idea because there is something in it _ but it isn\'t new by any means, it\'s been written in the Bible for several hundred years. There are others including Zig Ziglar and Anthony Robbins _ both of whom quote an oft_used story about the effectiveness of goal_setting: This is the Yale Study of 1953 _ some say it is Harvard, and some challenge the year _ it matters not, since the study is an urban myth. Let me remind you of the story, you may have heard variations and the precise percentages vary: Yale researchers surveyed the graduating class of 1953 to determine how many of them have specific, written goals for their future. 3% of them had. Twenty years later, the researchers followed up with the surviving members of the class and discovered that the 3% with written goals had accumulated more personal wealth than the remaining 97% combined!
There are two final things that you will need to, and they are learning from your mistakes and giving yourself a reward for achieving a goal. We all make mistakes, and it is likely that you will too. So when you make a mistake, learn your lesson from it and move on. Apply the acquired knowledge and work toward not making the same mistake again. This is the only way you can get better. And lastly, you should never forget to give yourself a reward for attaining a goal. You have done all the hard work and so you deserve the reward. Besides, the reward will push you to greater heights and inspire you to keep performing.